I saw something magical that I had to share with you. In the middle of my crazy work day- running around, working late, getting up early, meetings, deadlines, coffee, runny nose, Dayquil, more coffee, repeat…I stopped dead in my tracks.
Flower buds. Coming out of the harsh, freezing cold, it’s-March- in- Pittsburgh-ground.
It may sound a little corny- but it made me smile. It made me remember that no matter how bad [or good] of a day you are having- it’s important to stop and
smell the roses check out the budding tulips. Life still happens regardless of how crazy your week is or how stressed out you are, so you might as well enjoy the ride.
Following my own advice, I decided to embrace what was left of this cold winter that I have hated so much.
I bought ingredients to make soup. Because soup makes
you me happy in the cold months. Added bonus: it’s a crock pot soup. Double added bonus: it’s incredibly healthy, low cal, and delicious.
Roasted Red Pepper & Feta Soup
Recipe from The Dashing Dish
You will need:
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers [about 3 peppers should be in the jar]
- 1 bag of frozen cauliflower
- 1 can [14oz] whole peeled tomatoes, with juice
- 1 can [29oz] of tomato sauce
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 small carrots, chopped
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock*
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Fresh herbs … it’s March 4, who has those?
* I always recommend using low sodium/ low salt/ no salt added ingredients- especially for soups like this where it can add up quickly. Check the sodium on your chicken stock and canned tomatoes! Season it yourself!
Directions: Put everything in crock pot on high for 3.5-4 hours or low for 7.5-8 hours.
Combine ingredients until creamy with an immersion blender or carefully in a standing blender in batches. Add a little more chicken stock to the pot if you want the consistency to be thinner.
Top with feta for serving. It’s easy as that.
Oh, and if the budding tulips weren’t enough for you….
High of 49 and sunny this weekend. HEATWAVE!!!!!
This soup looks delicious, although I hope we’re not eating soup for much longer! Bring on the warmer weather 🙂